I’ve talked before about how the specific species is important when it comes to essential oils. Sandalwood essential is a perfect example as dōTERRA offers both a Hawaiian and an Indian Sandalwood. Although their usage is similar, the aromas are very different.
You can immediately notice a difference between the oils when you smell their aroma. Both Sandalwoods have a sweet, woody aroma, but Hawaiian is on the sweeter side with a honey-like aroma. The Hawaiian Sandalwood lends itself to use for relaxation while the Indian Sandalwood will leave you feeling more rejuvenated and is often used during mediation. Both are highly coveted for their benefits for the skin and the mind.
Practical uses for Sandalwood essential oil:
- Add to your shampoo or moisturizer to improve the look of your skin and hair.
- Diffuse in your bedroom after a long, stressful day or before meditation.
- Apply to your skin the day before a big photo shoot or presentation.
- Diffuse or apply to the neck and shoulders at bedtime for a restful night’s sleep.
- After a long day of working on your honey-do list, add one to two drops to your hot bath to promote relaxation and reduce stress. Promotes healthy-looking, smooth skin.
- Reduces the appearance of skin imperfections.
- Enhances mood.
- Frequently used in meditation for its grounding and uplifting properties.
- For an at-home spa experience, fill a large bowl with steaming water, then apply one to two drops of Sandalwood to your face and cover head with a towel. Place your face above the steaming water. Your skin will feel nourished and rejuvenated.
- Apply one to two drops to wet hair to help restore moisture and give hair a silky shine.
- Inhale Sandalwood directly from palms or diffuse to lessen tension and balance emotions.
Emotionally, Sandalwood essential oil is The Oil of Sacred Devotion. It assists with all kinds of prayer, meditation and spiritual worship. It teachers reverence and respect for Deity.